Donations AmazonSmile Contact Us
About Us > FAQs


Can I get help paying for child care?

In general, families are eligible for financial assistance if they meet the state’s low income guidelines and need child care to work, look for work, or attend employment training. You are guaranteed child care if you are on public assistance and need child care in order to meet any work participation requirements. You are also guaranteed assistance in paying for child care for one year after leaving public assistance if you left public assistance for a job and need child care to go to work. Your county Department of Social Services determines family eligibility based on income, reasons for needing day care, and your child’s age and individual needs.

For more information and the phone number for your local department of social services, visit the parent’s financial aid section of this website.

How do I become a child care provider?

The Child Care Council and Office of Children and Family Services provide support for people and organizations that are interested in starting day care programs in their communities. As a general rule, any day care program planning to serve three or more children for more than three hours a day on a regular basis must obtain a license or registration certificate. To obtain this certificate, the applicant must show that the day care program meets requirements that the state has established to help ensure the health and safety of children in care. We can provide you with application materials, information about the process of starting a program, and help with understanding the legal requirements.

Which child care modalities receive a License and which receive a Registration?

A License is issued to Group Family Day Care, Small Day Care Centers and Day Care Centers.
A Registration is issued Family Day Care and School Aged Child Care Programs.

What training do I have to take in order to become FDC registered or GFDC licensed?

The Health and Safety Training series. This class is a 15 hour course that is required prior to becoming an FDC or GFDC on-site provider.

Where can I get information about Regulations and Policy Statements relating to Child Care?

You can call your registrar or the registration department at the Child Care Council.
We would be glad to explain and discuss or mail a copy of the Regulations / policy statements and forms to you.
You may also go the following website for the NYS Office of Children & Family Services  to get internet information about NYS regulations / policy statements and Child Care forms.


How do I meet training requirements as a child care provider?

Like every professional, the child care provider must continue to strengthen their skills. In fact, ongoing training and professional development is a requirement for maintaining a license or registration to provide child care in New York State.
How and where you meet your child care training requirements is up to you. OCFS supports a variety of mechanisms to assist you in meeting your training requirements, which ranges from scholarship funds to video teleconferences. Child Care Council offers courses that cover all required categories.

What should I do if I have a concern about the health or safety standards of a day care setting?

Call 1-800-732-5207 (during working hours). An official will inspect the facility within 24 hours if there’s suspected imminent danger to children, or within 15 days for other regulatory complaints.

Hours of Operation:
Main Office: 9:00 am – 5:00 pm, 5:30 – 9:00pm (class nights)
Branch Offices: 9:00 am – 5:00 pm

Recent News

Survey Open for Business Navigator Toolkit

June 18 2024

Child Care Council Inc. is partnering with the Early Care & Learning Council and Finger Lakes Regional Economic Development Council as part of a statewide project to build and launch a Child Care Business Navigator Toolkit. The Business Navigator Toolkit is designed to help employers understand their employees’ child care needs and connect them with […]

Read More >
Course Calendar